There are several features that should be considered before buying a garage door opener. Garage door openers are currently available in different styles and sizes and it is a must-have product for every homeowner with a garage. Without it, valuable items are exposed and are vulnerable to factors such as moisture and theft. Garage door openers usually come with different system models such as chain drive, screw drive, belt drive and among others. What to look out for when buying a garage door opener include the following:
- Consider how much power your garage door needs. Depending on garage door-power, the openers are available in different sizes and horsepower. For instance, if you need a garage door opener that can lift one or two doors, then you may need an opener with a lot of horsepower. Large, heavy as well as oversized doors require openers with the most horsepower.
- Check out the type of drive system that you want. Each type of drive system has its own specific features. Belt drive openers are design to raise and lower the door on rubber belts, while metal chains operate on chain driven openers and screw-driven garage door openers raises and lowers the door on a threaded rod. The maintenance among them also differs.
- Decide on how the door opener will be installed. Look out for good installation provider who can do the job more effectively before buying the opener.
- Determine the garage door opener carrier. Ensure you discuss your needs with a salesman and get to know different models and brands that are available before deciding on one.
- Compare the possible prices of each opener. The cheapest is not always the best. Ensure you examine the warranties offered with each type of garage door opener. Then purchase an opener that best suits your needs.
Last but not least, look out for some other features such as security options, speed, lights and battery back-up.